Thursday, 14 October 2010

Home-Made Carrot Soup

I had so many fresh vegetables that needed to be used up that I decided to make this soup, with the intention of consuming some portions immediately, and batch freezing the remainder.

As I was peeling all those carrots I had a brainwave - make two very different soups from the same set of ingredients.

At the end of cooking I took out two large ladles of the chunky vegetables and put them to one side. I then proceeded to liquidize the pan to a lovely silky smooth soup. Half of the soup I intend to use just as it is, but upon reheating I will grate in some fresh ginger to taste. This will give it some mild heat and a nice added twist.

To the other half of soup I added the chunky cooked vegatables. Immediately I have a half decent minestrone, perfect to eat as it is or made more substantial when reheated with some small pasta shapes or maybe a tin of cannellini or butter beans.

This satisfactory conclusion made all that peeling and chopping worthwhile after all !!  Equally pleasing is the fact that I am beginning to think for myself more in the kitchen, not just following recipes to the letter of the law, and discovering that it is possible to produce a recipe that, indeed, is all yours.

This is one of those soups that is nearly 100% fresh vegetables, so don't feel too guilty adding some nice sea salt to improve the taste. I also added ground black pepper - it really reacted well to the taste of the carrots.

Serves 9
Cost Per Individual Serving   £0.26
1.2kg Carrots, peeled and chopped   £0.51
600g Potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces   £0.30
5 Sticks Celery, washed and chopped   £0.87
4 Onions, peeled and chopped   £0.67
Sea salt and Ground Black Pepper, to taste

1. Place all the prepared vegeatables into a large casserole pan, and put on a medium-high hot hob
2. Add approx 2L of water until all the vegetables are covered, season, and bring to a gentle simmer
3. Simmer uncovered for around 40-45 minutes. Keep checking the veg for tenderness. Smaller chopped veg cooks quicker.
4. When cooked liquidize your contents, season again if required, and enjoy, or freeze in convenient sized portions

No comments:

Post a Comment