I cook this time and time again as it has everything going for it:
- fast to prepare and cook
- extremely healthy
- tastes amazing.
No one ingredient overpowers the rest, mingling together in equal harmony. You get the sweetness of the honey, the lovely fresh taste of coriander leaves and spring onion, the saltiness of the soy sauce, and underlying heat of the red chilli and ginger. Integrated amongst all of these is the familiar five spice. It really is an explosion of taste.
In my humble opinion this Chinese recipe brings out the best of the accompanying medium egg noodles, as opposed to the straight to wok varieties that are so popular.
As always, once the first set of ingredients hit the sizzling wok there is little time to breathe before you are plating up, so to enjoy this at its best please prepare all of your ingredients before beginning.
Cost Per Individual Serving £0.93
3 Turkey Breasts (430g), thinly sliced £2.50
3 Layers Medium Egg Noodles £0.60
2 Red Chillies, deseeded and finely chopped £0.25
Thumb-sized piece Fresh Ginger, peeled and finely chopped *
3 Tbsp Runny Clear Honey *
4 Spring Onions, finely sliced £0.35
Good Splash of Light Soy Sauce *
3 Tsp Chinese Five Spice *
Two handfuls Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped *
3 Tbsp Groundnut Oil *
* denotes store cupboard items
1. Prepare noodles according to packet instructions, and drain (have them ready to go into wok)
2. Heat wok on a hob at highest setting; add oil when hot
3. When oil is sizzling hot, add turkey, chilli, and ginger; stir rapidly for thirty seconds
4. Add five spice; stir until turkey fully browned
5. Add honey, soy sauce, and spring onions; keep stirring (nearly there!!)
6. Add noodles and coriander to the wok; give a really good stir so that the noodles mix well with the sauce
7. Plate up and enjoy!