From beginning preparation to serving it up on the table this took exactly one hour. Most impressively, there is no shortage of taste. It feels like it could have been simmering away for hours, such is the depth of taste and flavour. Next time I cook this I am going to substitute teh salami for chorizo, and the lentils for either butter or cannellini beans, which I think will make the finished casserole more hearty and filling. However, if you like lots of sauce and sliced crusty bread to mop it up, the below ingredients will be to your liking.
The pack of sausage were the 'healthier' Butchers choice variety, and were on special offer at half price.
1 Onion, thickly sliced 17p
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
100g Salami, sliced £1
8 Pork sausages, 454g £1
500g Passata 0.92p
400g tin Green lentils, drained and rinsed 0.46p
2 Bay leaves
Total Cost £3.54
1. Moderately heat oil in casserole dish and cook onion gently until soft.
2. Heat frying pan on another hob.
3. Add garlic and stir for a minute.
4. Add salami and cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Brown sausages in frying pan.
6. Add passatta, drained lentils, and 500ml water to casserole dish and bring to boil,stirring gently.
7. Add browned sausages to casserole dish. Add bay leaves.
8. Cover the dish with its lid and simmer for 30-40min until the lentils are soft.
No kids tonight so generous portions for 2 adults. A quarter of casserole leftover for another time.