This is a good meal to make on a day off. I marinaded the meat on the morning, and started preparing it at 2pm. As there are only a few ingredients it was so hassle free. Literally the only prep was the slicing of the leeks! This was a quality tasting, but healthy meal. I bought the chicken on a half price offer at the supermarket which meant the overall cost came in at just under £2.90.
Pack of Chicken thighs and Drumsticks approx 750g £1.50
1/2 tin of 440g Cannellini beans 0.28p
2 Leeks, sliced 80p
2-3 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tsp dried Herbes de provence
2 large potatoes 32p
Salt and pepper to season
2 bay leaves
Total Cost £2.90
1. Put chicken into suitably sized dish, and drizzle over the balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp of the olive oil.
2. Add the garlic,bay leaves, herbes de provence, and season. Leave somewhere cool/fridge for at least 4 hrs to marinade.
3. Heat oven to 200C/Gas 6. While waiting heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan large enough to hold 750ml water.
4. Shake off the marinade from the chicken and brown until golden on each side. When done, place into a large casserole dish. Turn the heat on frying pan down to low heat setting.
5. Mix beans into the chicken casserole dish.
6. Gently fry the leeks in the frying pan until soft. Add the garlic,leftover marinade, and 1tbsp balsamic vinegar. Add the 750ml water and bring to the boil. Pour all contents of frying pan into the casserole dish. Ensure the chicken is covered by the liquid. If not add a touch more water.
7. Add the 2 bay leaves from the marinade, season to taste and put into oven.
8. After an hour take out and stir. Ensure still enough liquid covering the chicken pieces. If not add water until covered. Check taste and add salt and pepper if required.
9. Cook for a further hour until chicken easily comes away from the bone.
10. Peel and quarter spuds. Bring pan of water to boil and cook until soft enough for knife to pass through easily. Mash, adding a little knob of butter/drop of milk and mixing in.
11. Serve food up. Bon Appetite !!
This fed 2 adults and a 8 yr old