It's Sunday. i forgot to defrost the Pork Loin joint last night so it's the Pork chop for Sunday lunch today - a reliable stand-in. To co-habit the plate are Charlotte spuds, garden peas, carrot, brocolli, and leek, all steamed apart from the spuds which are boiled. The Charlottes and brocolli were on offer at reduced price so too good to miss.
4 Pork chops £3.50 (normally £4)
1/2 bag Charlottes (9 medium size) 30p
1 carrot 5p
Broccoli head 50p
1 Leek 33p
Frozen Garden Peas 2-3 handfuls 15p approx
2 tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
Flatleaf Parsley, small handful
1 Lemon 20p
2-3 slices bread, into crumbs 15p approx
200ml Chicken Stock (homemade)
Salt and Pepper
Total Cost £5.18
1. Set oven to 220C/425F (adjust fan oven as recommended)
2. Season chops with salt and pepper
3. Melt butter in frying pan on lowest heat. Tip most out into bowl and set aside.
4. Add glug of oil to pan and increase heat. Brown chops until golden (appox 3 mins each side). When done, put into roasting tin.
5. Mix the mustard with melted butter and brush onto top of chops.
6. Chop the parsley, juice the lemon and grate 1/4 of its zest.
7. Mix parsley, zest, breadcrumbs, and seasoning together. Press mixture down well onto the chops.
8. Cook in top of oven until cooked, and breadcrumbs brown. Approx 10-12 mins.
9. Serve with veg cooked to your liking.
Enough for 2 adults and 1 picky teenager (Becky) and one boy (Jim) who eats until the plate is clean.