No fancy restaurants for me on my 40th birthday. Instead, I make one of my favourite spicy meals for myself, Lesley, and Jim. This is a really fast recipe to prepare and cook and tastes heavenly.
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 thick slices ginger, finely chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
1 stick lemon grass, outer laters removed and inner section sliced
Glug groundnut oil
1 Red chilli, seeds discarded and finely chopped
2 chicken breasts, diced
2 handfuls mushrooms of choice, sliced
1 tbsp lime juice
Glug Thai fish sauce
1/2 tsp light muscovado sugar
1. Cook rice as instructed by packet.
2. Heat oil in pan or wok. Add the garlic, ginger, spring onions, and lemon grass. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add the chilli to wok, stir for a further minute, remove wok contents and put aside.
4. Add another glug of oil to pan. Once sizzling hot add chicken and stir fry until cooked through.
5. Add mushrooms and cook for several minutes until softened and cooked through.
6. Return the cooked garlic, ginger etc to the wok.
7. Put lime juice, fish sauce and sugar into a cup and give a quick stir until mixed. Stir into wok.
8. Serve with cooked rice.
Generous portions for 2 adults and a 8 yr old