A Week of Cooking

I have just roughly estimated the cost of the last 7 days of family meals, and it works out at under £40. It has been hard work but looking at what I have cooked I am satisfied at the range and quality.

One of the mantras I have adopted from Nigel Slater is to enjoy better quality food, with slightly reduced portions. I have discovered that it is not the quantity of food that is piled onto the plate, but rather the quality of the final dish, the ingredients used, and how it has been cooked.

I am conscious of the need to reduce levels of salt and saturated fats in the family's daily diet. That is not to say that we don't enjoy treats. Life would be just too dull without the odd sweet or pastry to munch on. This week the Rolls Royce Carrot Cake was a big hit with everyone, and lasted 3 whole days.

But I am hopefully doing something correct as everyone in our household is of a normal build and weight. I myself have lost small amounts of weight gradually over the past 2 years since I grabbed hold of the main responsibility for cooking. I am just under 6 foot tall and weigh under 12 stone. My aim is to reach 11 1/2 stone at some point, but as long as I don't go over 12 I won't beat myself up about it. The best thing is I don't have any severe restrictions on chocolate, cakes, crisps etc. When the mood takes me I have it. But I have noticed that my intake of junk food has reduced as I don't enjoy the taste as much as I used to. Hopefully that means I am doing something right. Long may it continue.

Comments