Banana Cake

I made this just over a week ago, and it was an amazing hit with everyone - my children are my biggest critics when it comes to my cooking, and the clean plates said it all. This recipe does have icing, but is very 'butter free' so I don't have as much guilt eating it. I found this icing can be used for all manner of cakes.  I have just applied it to my Ginger Coffee Cake I made earlier today (post coming up a bit later on for that - once I've tried a piece after dinner !).

CAKE

2 eggs
200g (7 oz) soft brown sugar
300g (10 1/2 oz) banana, mashed
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 tsp salt
130 ml (4 1/2 fl oz) vegetable oil
240g (8 1/2 oz) plain flour
45g banana, chopped

ICING

30g unsalted butter
225g (8 oz) icing sugar
100g (3 1/2 oz) cream cheese
Juice of 1/2  squeezed lemon

  1. Preheat oven to 120 C (235 F), or 110 C fan oven
  2. Grease a 20 cm round baking tin, or line with greaseproof paper
  3. Whisk eggs and brown sugar until pale and fluffy
  4. Add the mashed banana, bicarbonate of soda, salt and oil. Mix (slowly if using processor) until well combined
  5. Sift in the flour, increase speed gradually until no flour is visible. Fold in chopped banana and put mixture into tin
  6. Bake until a skewer poked into centre of cake comes out clean. 1 hr 55 min for mine; recipe says 60 min so keep checking !  Once cooked allow to cool for 15 min in tin before placing onto rack to cool completely
  7. Beat icing butter and butter together as best you can for such a small amount. Then add the cream cheese and lemon juice and beat until mixed nicely
  8. Spread over the top of your cake; leave a while to set, and ENJOY !!

Comments