Tuesday, 14 September 2010
As the cooking time is quite long for this, I like to make one big casserole pans worth in one go, and freeze it in batches so that it only requires defrosting and warmed through. In this instance I have made enough for 2 family-sized meals.
For this recipe you require a large, lidded casserole pan.
Approx Preparation: 30min
Approx Cooking Time: 2hr 30min
900g Beef Casserole Steak, cubed £6.00
168g Pancetta Cubes £1.60
600g onions, peel and chop 35p
400g can peeled plum tomatoes 31p
300ml beef stock
2 garlic cloves, peel and crush
4 tbsp paprika
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper
3 tbsp vegetable/sunflower oil
Total Cost £8.26
Real Cost per Family Meal £2.75
1. Mix beef with flour; turn oven on at 170C (155C on my fan oven)
2. Heat 1tbsp oil in large casserole pan
3. Fry onions gently until soft; remove from pan
4. Fry pancetta in same pan until crisp; remove from pan
5. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add meat and brown
6. Return onions and pancetta to the browned meat in casserole pan
7. Add garlic and paprika; stir well for a minute
8. Add herbs, tin tomatoes and beef stock and bring to a simmer. Season to taste
9. Cover tightly with lid and put into oven for between 1hr 30min - 2 hr. When meat is tender it is ready.
It is best to keep an eye on this. Check on it after 45min-55min to check if more stock needs to be added.