I'm always looking for new ways to do something different with fish. This is a super tasty, superhealthy, super cheap 'cheat' smoked mackerel pilaf that performs a culinary miracle - it makes brown rice taste fantastic! The combination of the smoky mackerel and the spices is a winning one. At a cost o £2 in total for 2 adults you can't complain either!
150g smoked mackerel, flaked £1.50
125g brown rice 50p
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 cardamon pod, slightly crushed
handful or so of frozen peas
1. Cook rice as per packet instructions and drain
2. When rice ready, cook onion gently in a pan/wok until soft
3. Add garlic,and spices to onion. Stir for a minute
4. Add cooked rice to wok and mix well.
5. Add smoked mackerel and peas. Mix well.
6. Warm through gently until peas are cooked - 5 min or so.
Absolutely divine served with mango chutney and poppadums!
Serves 2 generous adult portions