|Tuna Nicoise Salad|
Preparing it was nice and straightforward - eggs hard boiled in the morning while having breakfast, and spuds boiled while preparing a sandwich. So it was more of an assembly operation than having to be concerned with multiple pans all demanding attention at the same time - a usual Sunday dinner demand.
It was surprisingly a hit with Jim, my 8 yr old son. He ate all of his up, which gave me a good buzz afterwards.
Mind you, the only problem I had was that I had the munchies seriously come supper time - but managed to resist hitting the snacks, and undoing all the benefits of eating greens !
Prep: 12 min (if prepared simultaneously)
Cooking: all in the prep !
1 frozen Tuna Steak, defrosted 60p
2 large Free Range Eggs 50p
2 Little Gem Lettuces, leaves separated and washed 87p
250g New Potatoes (from the garden)
1 small Garlic Clove, peeled and crushed
3/4 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Basil, chopped
Handful of small Tomatoes, halved
1/4 size Cucumber, chopped
3 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Total Cost £2.07
This recipe happily served 2 adults and an 8 yr old.
1. Put eggs in saucepan of water. Cook for 7-9 min once water boiling. Rinse under cold tap; leave to cool
2. Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until cooked (test with a knife - should slide through easily). Drain and cool
3. Lightly brush tuna with a little olive oil and season. Cook in pan until just cooked through (approx 3-4 min each side)
4. Mix the mustard, garlic, basil and seasoning together. Whisk in the oilive oil
5. Assemble your lettuce onto plates; add potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber, and eggs (quartered)
6. Flake the tuna and add to plates; pour over your creamy dressing